4 large Portobello mushrooms
Salt and pepper to taste
2-3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
Sauce: This can be homemade or just use Tomato paste and whatever spices you choose.
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
4 fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Sprinkle the Portobello mushrooms with salt and pepper and drizzle with the olive oil. In a small saucepan over medium low heat, add all of the pizza sauce ingredients and stir together. Cook over low heat for about 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat a grill to medium high heat. Place the mushrooms on the grill gill side down and cook for 5 minutes. Turn the mushrooms over and grill another 5 minutes. When you next check on the mushrooms they should have released quite a bit of liquid. Turn the mushrooms over again to drain the liquid and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove the mushrooms and place gill side up.
- Spread the mushrooms with the pizza sauce and sprinkle with the cheese (use liberally).
- Place the mushrooms back on the grill for another 3-5 minutes until the cheese is melted. Garnish with the basil and serve with homemade ranch dressing for a real show stopper.
- Meat can be added as well if you prefer